Strengthening the National Statistical System Joint UN Project
The project aims to strengthen the national statistical system through improvement of collection, dissemination and use of socio-economic statistical data. It helps to harmonize official statistics with international standards as well as improve the availability, quality, and use of disaggregated statistical data for participatory policy-making.
- Harmonize national statistics with EU statistical requirements;
- Build the capacity of the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) and line ministries to produce qualitative disaggregated data (by sex, age, geographical territory, and other dimensions;
- Foster better cooperation on data quality control mechanisms between NBS and other data producers (central and local public administrations responsible for official and administrative data);
- Improve data availability through optimization of data dissemination systems, practices and tools, which meet the needs of data users and are presented in a user-friendly format;
- Implement institutional mechanisms for training and development of abilities and knowledge for data producers and users (civil servants, CSOs, mass-media, academia);
- Improve appropriate use of available statistical data for participatory and evidence-based elaboration, analysis, and monitoring of polices.
- Statistical infrastructure (methodologies, indicators and reports system, statistical toolkit, information flow) for monitoring of national and/or sectorial objectives, strategies, programmes reviewed and harmonized with international/EU standards;
- Statistical surveys undertaken on topics less or not explored in social-demographic fields;
- National statisticians (NBS, territorial statistical offices) trained to apply new methodologies to conduct and evaluate statistical surveys;
- Better tools and practices (publications, NBS web-page, organized events, etc.) for statistical data dissemination in a ‘user-friendly’ format;
- New standards and the best international practices applied to national statistics due to strengthening the statisticians’ abilities;
- Improved skills and abilities of different stakeholders (Government, CSOs and academia) to properly use statistical data for evidence-based elaboration and analysis of policies and programmes.
- Achievements in the framework of Project Component on Improvement of availability and reliability of regional for Moldova’s decision-makers
Duration of implementation: 2007-2015
Focus Area: Democratic Governance
Donors: UNDP, UN Women, UNFPA, UNICEF, ILO, Government of Romania
Project Manager: Aurelia Spataru, email@example.com
Implementation Partners: National Bureau of Statistics, State Chancellery, Ministry of Economy, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Labour, Social Protection and Family, Ministry of Regional Development and Constructions, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of Information Technologies and Communication, academia, civil society, media
Total Budget: US$ 1,555,848
2015 budget: US$ 86,415